Corn and Blueberry Summer Salad
Something about the start of summer has me craving fruits and vegetables. Every weekend, I’m scarfing down fresh lemonade and watermelon like it’s my job. But I know I can’t be the only one feeling their mouth watering over a trip to the farmers market, so I wanted to share this light summer salad I tried over the weekend.
I first spotted this recipe on Better Homes and Gardens. It combines two of my absolute favorite summer staples—corn on the cob and blueberries—in a way that makes no sense, but also simultaneously sounds like the best thing ever. It’s like when you heard Jay-Z and Linkin Park were making an album together. First you’re like, “Whaaa?,” then you’re like, “Well….,” and finally you’re like, “Where have you been all my life?”
And the thing that holds it all together is a fantastic light salad dressing made from four ingredients: Lime juice, olive oil, honey and cumin. It goes great with this salad, but I’m eager to try it on everything.
Ready to get going? Check out the recipe…
- 6 ears of yellow corn
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 large cucumber
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 4 tablespoons light, mild-flavor olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Remove the husks from the corn, and place into a large pot of boiling water. Cover, and let them cook for approximately 5 minutes, or until tender. Remove the corn and place in in a colander, letting cool water run over the corn briefly. Set aside to cool.
- Slice the cucumber into thin slices and place into a bowl. Add the blueberries, onion and cilantro. Cut the ends off the jalapeno, then slice in half long-ways. Use a sharp knife to remove the seeds, then dice the jalapeno. Add the jalapeno to the salad. Once the corn is cool, cut the corn from the cobs and add to finish the salad.
- Combine the lime juice, olive oil, honey and cumin in a mason jar or another container with a tight lid. Shake well.
- If you're preparing the salad in advance, chill the salad and dressing separately in the refrigerator or cooler. Just before serving, pour the dressing over the salad and toss together.
looks great! Can’t wait to try it.
It’s so good! Let me know how it goes 🙂
Great article, love your sharing so much, thank you!
Pingback: Better Homes And Gardens Corn And Blueberry Salad - Modular Home Ideas