A Patriotic Strawberry Cream Pie
What is it about the Fourth of July that makes everybody want to get together at the last minute? Maybe because it’s not really a plan-a-party holiday as much as it is a lets-hang-out-and-eat holiday. Which is fine by me. I’m not complaining.
But the last-minute nature of Independence Day celebrations means you’ll inevitably be tasked with bringing a dish to a potluck meal, you know, last minute. Don’t let the hurried timeline scare you out of bringing something homemade.
This nearly no-bake pie is a ridiculously easy potluck dish. A ridiculously easy potluck dish that also happens to be red, white and blue. You’re welcome.
- 1 9-inch pie crust (I've learned there's no reason to make this from scratch, just buy the refrigerated stuff)
- 6 cups strawberries, hulled and split in halves or thirds
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (8 ounce) package of cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon rind
- ¼ cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roll the pie crust out into a 9-inch round and press it into a pie pan, crimping the edges. Bake the crust at 400 degrees until light brown and crisp, about 8-10 minutes. Let it cool completely.
- Mash enough strawberries to measure around 1 cup (from here on out, we're not baking, so you have some room to mess with ingredient measures). Mix the granulated sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan and stir in the mashed strawberries. Cook this mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it boils and thickens. Remove the mixture from heat, immediately stirring in the vanilla. Let cool.
- Before, during or after you prep the strawberry mixture (I told you, this is inexact), beat the cream cheese together with with the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and lemon rind in an electric mixer until smooth.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture inside of the cooled pie crust. If you're finding the mixture very soft, let it chill inside of the pie in the refrigerator for a few minutes before adding the strawberry layer.
- Arrange the raw, sliced strawberries over the cream cheese mixture. Then pour the cooked and cooled strawberry mixture over the raw strawberries. Sprinkle or arrange the blueberries over the top of the pie to suit your taste.
- Chill the whole thing for 3 to 4 hours before serving.